A poupou made of totara. It was originally painted white and black with a kowhaiwhai pattern on the top half and a lower red base area. Over the top it has been painted with acrylic paint, black and white for the kowhaiwhai and red for the lower half. It appears that the front surface was sanded damaging the original paint. The back was cut back to fit. Surface was sawn then adzed out.
An original piece from Te Hei meeting house at Manoeka Pa, near Te Puke. The tribe is Waitaha. Carvers of the house were Taiko and Tu Te Rangiwhakaea. Erected by Tarahina in 1899. Returned to Tauranga by Te Papa in 1991.
Tu Te Rangiwhakaea
Taiko Te Rangiwhakaea
Te Puke, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
1676mm (length), 470mm (width)