Alter Piece, Catholic Mission Station
1840s Current rights
© In copyright See full details
The Catholic Mission Station was established at Otumoetai, Tauranga, in 1840 and closed in 1863 as a result of the Land Wars in the Waikato which spread to Tauranga the following year. For many years the alter was in the possession of the Matheson family who owned the land on which the station was sited. A painting completed by H.G. Robley in 1865 shows the interior of the church including the alter. It is recorded that the church was much admired by visitors. The painting is part of Te Papa's collection.
/2 - 880mm (length), 120mm (width) 5mm (depth)
/3 - 1600mm (length), 64mm (width) 5mm (depth)